Friday, April 22, 2011

Wonga



Checking my spreadsheet this evening, I plucked up courage to find out what we've spent so far. The answer is £6200. As far as I can see, this has bought us two windows, a fireplace and some nice drawings. Another builder came to price for the job today. 'I hope you've got lots of money' he commented as he studied the plans. I wasn't sure he was right for the job - the flashy range rover isn't quite the 'salt of the earth' image I'd been expecting. Dr B felt the same. It's all very well finding a lower quote, you have to feel you could work with the builder.


Today's was the seventh builder we've had looking at the plans and this one came with some sort of water divining rod to work out where the drains run. It's a time consuming process with much to discuss, though let's face it, since the fiasco over the tree survey we've got time on our hands. Two have sent back quotes, two are pending. The others seem to think it's too big a project for them, though you'd have thought they might call to let you know after all the time it's taken up. The path to a 'finished' home seems very long from where I stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment